Friday, February 18, 2011

You did WHAT?!?

Yep, I did.  Instead of painting my orange-toned wooden chest of drawers, I covered it with white, removable contact paper. I know, crazy huh?  What can I say, when you poah, you gotta get creative man! Lol!  Well, actually, I can't take credit for such an original thought.  My sister (love you belk) sent me a link to this site, where I got the idea from this talented lady, who made the radical decision to cover the kitchen cabinets of her rental home with removal, white contact paper. (off topic-click here to read one of my favorite posts on her site, amazing writer).  I should pause for a moment to say that what I would really love to see take the place of this piece is something like this:

 ...or this...


But...like I mentioned before, girl's gotta work with what she has, ya know? So, let's see, where was I?  Oh yes, well, when I shared the insane idea with my hubby, he laughed, but then, being the sweet, wife-pleasing man that he is,  he agreed to help me attempt this crazy feat.  It was a long, drawn out process in which we had to go slow and be very careful. Here are the before pics.




Yucky huh?  (Lylah informed me today "Mommy, yucky means gross ok?") Gross? Yep, sure is! It's definitely seen better days (or maybe not).  Anyway, the process of covering it took us about 1 hour.  As you will notice in the below after pictures, we weren't unable to cover certain parts/areas because they were too bumpy (too many curves and ridges)  We are going to be painting these areas.  I've got to say, we couldn't be happier with the results.  We were absolutely blown away by how well it turned out.  I will go as far as to say that, I believe it looks better than it would have, had it been painted (no streaks).  Not to mention how happy we were to avoid hours of sanding, priming, and painting this baby.  Although we are still going to have to paint some, it is not much, and for this we are very grateful.  To test our finished product's authentic "painted" look, we told Abuela Eloisa we'd painted it and asked her to tell us what she thought.  She was so impressed!  "You painted it so well!" was what she said.  SCORE!  So.... without further ado....here she is in all (well, nearly all) of her white and bright glory. 






That mirror will hopefully be replaced or transformed soon, but I am so in love with that bouquet!! (purchased at Home Goods) It was made with dried strips of banana leaves.  The leaves were dyed to perfection with colors to match my color scheme.  The adorable ceramic jar with lid (bought at TJ Max on sale 50% off) is also the perfect color.  I have to confess (warning: you're going to laugh)  that the jar is actually for doggy treats.  Crazy right?  I know, it's just too precious to be wasted on smelly, icky treats.  It is now the proud keeper of the princess' bows and frills. (Lylah's, not mine).  So, what do you think of my insanely wacky chest of drawers transformation?  I know, it's not finished, but imagine how great it will look when the details are attended to.  I must say, when I saw how good it turned out, I ran to Wal-Mart and bought two more rolls of that contact paper.  I wanna run over there right now and buy two more. What if they run out?  What if they discontinue this particular roll?  I can't pass up the opportunity to transform pieces of my furniture for a measly $5! The thing is, it's gotta be this exact paper.



The sheen is just right, not too shiny nor too dull. Ok (starting to panic)...maybe I should buy all the rolls they have in stock.  :o)  You wondering what I'm planning to cover next?  Well, there's that bookcase in the kids room, that side table in the office, the computer desk....sky's the limit folks!  Love you all!



5 comments:

  1. Stacy, I am shocked by how good it looks! Seriously, I never thought it would look that good! I vote for going out and buying all the rolls they have in stock LOL :). Those colors on the bouquet and the jar (who would ever guess it is a doggie treat jar?) are perfect for tying the dresser with the bed. Please continue to post pictures of your progress. I will be posting some inspiration photos of bedrooms for you on my blog today.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well I definitely know what I'm getting you every Christmas! LOL! That contact paper is AMAZING!!! The dresser looks so smooth and clean & I can't believe how cheap the roll is. I will have to try it on some dingy items i have around the house. Thanks for the idea :0) Love you girly! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresser came out great! I didn't know what to expect when you told me about it, but it really does look like you painted it. I showed my mom and Jesse and they also thought you painted it. I'm amazed by the creative things people do to restore/redo furniture and other home decor. I really like the inspiration pics. I'm still debating on whether I should redo my bedroom or wait til we're done with the kitchen project...decisions, decisions.
    As for the doggie treat jar and the bouquet, those are perfect added touches for bringing the room together.
    I'm getting a little better at posting now. I'm gonna try to post at least once a week to update you on our home projects so don't forget to visit me. Love you dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...oh and I hope you don't mind but I showed my mom pictures of your house. She wanted to see the home you moved into since I went over there and described it to her. She really liked the house and your design skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow girl, great job AGAIN.

    www.millerhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com
    ♥Jazmin

    ReplyDelete