Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If Momma Ain't Happy...

Ain't Nobody Happy!  And this momma ain't at all happy.  She is quite miserable, indeed, and it is all because she is bedridden with a terrible cold.  Vick's Vaporub, Tylenol, Vitamin C, Germx, tissue paper, and the thermometer have been my faithful companions for the past three days (along with my laptop, books, phone, etc).  Feeling as sick as I am and with snow flurries starting to fall outside, I've gone into hibernation mode. Hibernation requires a warm and comfy cave, lined with goodies.   I've prepared my cave quite well, all in an effort to minimize my discomfort and boredom.  Here's my cave now.


Remember ladies, it's a cave!  The nightstand and headboard do not have to match, o.k.?!  Lol!  So, there on the night stand you see the above mentioned bottle of Germx, the Vaporub, the ghetto "Kleenex" (roll of toilet paper), and books. I've also got a small bag for trash hanging on the side there; been blowing my nose a lot!  On my bed, you can see my laptop, my phone, and....what is that??  Spools of yarn?   And what's that other thing?


That contraption? Well, allow me to explain.  It's a loom; a knitting loom.  I recently became very interested in learning to knit.  A friend of mine here, Betty, gave me a crash course on how it's done and let me borrow needles and yarn.  I started with so much enthusiasm.  Before long though, I realized that things were moving reeeeally slow.  After 4 hours of combined knitting time, I only had a 5in x 5in square and a terrible backache.  I considered giving up at that time, but then stubbornly decided to persist in my efforts.  One afternoon, as I sat knitting at the laundry mat waiting for my clothes to wash, I was approached by an elderly Cuban lady.  She was friendly and asked to see my project.  I showed her and with some embarrassment proceed to express my disappointment with the whole experience.  "My goal," I told her," is to knit blankets for my kids, but at the rate I'm going..."  She chuckled and proceeded to open a small bag at her side from which she pulled a beautiful baby blanket that she was knitting and was almost completed.  (about 2 1/2 feet in length) It was attached to a rectangular shaped contraption with pegs.   "This," she said "took me only three hours!"  Three hours??!!  I could barely contain my excitement.  How innovative!  "Hear Ye, Hear Ye!  We Bring To You Now, Knitting For The Impatient!"  Sign me up for that one baby!  Lol!  After getting a few details from her such as what the contraption was called (knitting loom) and where I could buy it (any craft store or Wal-Mart), we parted ways. (Well, we also exchanged phone numbers.  She was so sweet.)  The very next day I went out and bought my first loom.  With the help of the instruction manual and a few informative You Tube videos, I was knitting at record speed!! It is such a thrill to see your project taking shape so quickly and nothing matches the sense of accomplishment you feel when you see your children prancing around, looking adorable, wearing the finished product.  Wanna see what I've done so far?  Check out my precious models, showing off their new scarves/ hats.





Pretty neat huh?  To make the scarves, I used a rectangular loom like the one below...


and the hats with a round loom like this one...


They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and there is just so much you can do with them:  hats, scarves, throw/winter/baby blankets, stockings, mittens, shawls, place mats, runners, and much more.   Since I've been in bed and unable to do much else, I knit both hats in one evening! Can you believe it?  I've already bought a variety of colorful spools of yarn for Christmas gifting.

Speaking of Christmas, as many of you know, my family and I will be traveling south to Texas to spend this special time of the year with our loved ones.  We are impatiently awaiting our departure date.  The kids (mainly, I.D.) cried and cried when my parents left this past Friday. (well, yes, I cried too)  As The Hubs* and I held and tried to comfort, we repeatedly reminded them that in 15 days we'd be seeing grandma and grandpa again. We gave  I.D. the idea of counting down the days. The very next morning, as soon as he woke up, he immediately got a stack of 15 sheets of paper and wrote a number on each one.  He brought me the hole punch and a bracket to make a little booklet with the sheets, and every day they've ripped out one of the sheets to see how many days we have left.  Here's the booklet now; we've got 12 days to go!

* my husband

One last thing before I leave you.  I love decorating for the Christmas holiday, but unfortunately our Christmas ornaments were left behind (forgotten in the attic) when we moved up here. This, combined with the fact that we will be leaving soon, led us to decide that we'd forgo all the decorating this year.  (My mom already informed me that she wants the kids to decorate her tree when we get to Texas.)  This decision has not stopped me from feasting my eyes on all the beautifully decorated homes in Blogsville though. I'd like to share with you two adorable DIY ornament/decoration ideas that I ran across. Just click on the links for step by step tutorials.  First, this awesome fabric ball craft from the Fresh Crush blog.  Isn't it something?  Love it.


The second one is this amazing wreath made with coffee filters from The Nester.  I couldn't find a tutorial for it on her blog but I did find a great one on the Jones Design Company blog.  She made a coffee filter ball similar to the one above. (pictured below the wreath)


Noticing a pattern here?  Yep, round and poofy, that's what I'm diggin' this season. Lol! How about you?  Run across any neat craft ideas you'd like to share? Send them my way and I'll post them here for all of us to enjoy. Speaking of which,  just a quick reminder to you girls to send any pictures of home improvement projects, crafts, before and afters, etc. my way so we can all be inspired.  Love you and see you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Stacy! First, I'm sorry your sick and hope your all better now. Seems you posted this over a week ago. Didn't know I hadn't posted in so long!
    Second, those scarves and hats are incredible! I am totally impressed! I love that kind of thing too but hate the slowness and boredom associated with it. But that i can do! Hahaa! Love it!
    The kids look so cute in them! The color combination is incredible. :o) Congrats!

    I'm sure you know by now that Henry had an appendectomy.He's home now and doing real well. has to take it easy for a few weeks, but he's tough. Very high pain tolerance.
    Thank you for all your prayers.

    Also we can't wait to see you guys here, only about 3-4 days now right?
    I.D. must be super excited!

    Love you guys!

    <Mitch

    ReplyDelete