Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Granny Room

Our house now has a granny room.  The kids are just amazed by all the interesting things that can be found there.  For those of you not acquainted with the particulars of a granny room, let me share them with you now.  For starters there is a toilet in the room! How's that for convenience? =)  In the corner, there's a recliner that looks normal enough until you start pushing the buttons.  Upon pushing the buttons, you will discover that this chair can lift about 2 feet off the ground to bring grandma to a standing position.  Every night, a drinking glass can be found on the night stand with floating teeth inside and that brassier on the dresser appears to have a breast attached to it! Gotta say, it seems at times that there is a very big infant living in this room.  There are big diapers, wipes, changing pads,a giant walker, huge bibs and that chair, with the wheels, looks a lot like a big stroller.  Yes, we've now got a granny room in our house and we are loving it. =)

As promised, I'd like to show you pictures of the room that we lovingly prepared for the grannies.  The pictures that I have to share were taken before they arrived, so you will notice that the above mentioned "cool granny stuff" is missing.  The room is on the first floor off the dining room. 

The first order of business was to find the furniture.  Grandma asked me to find the furniture for her.  We needed a bed (queen), a mattress, a nightstand, a chest of drawers, a recliner, and a lamp.  So, what do you think I did?   Yep,  you've got it....CRAIGSLIST!!  I found everything in a matter of days. Here is the break down of the items I found and their prices.

IKEA Bed frame in mint condition (no box spring needed)- $40
Mattress (pillow top)- $55
Lamp (retails over $100)- $25
Chest of drawers (perfect match to the nightstand) -$40
Orthopedic, electric lift recliner (retails over $500)-  $100 
Nightstand-  $Free.99  (one that I already owned)
Mirror (HomeGoods)- $30
Gallon of paint for chest of drawers and nightstand (Walmart- Country White) -$10
Gallon of paint for the walls (Walmart- ) $20
Bed in a Bag (Comforter, pillow cases, shams, sheets)- $40
Decor Knick Knacks (used things I already had) so - $free.99

Total spent - $360

Here's a picture of the Chest of Drawers before a little TLC...
 and many of you will recognize the nightstand. Here she is before her makeover.
Lastly, here's a picture of a little shelf I've owned for a while that I also painted and put up in the room.


You know what they say,  things gotta get worse before they get better.  You will see in the before pictures of the room that this is indeed true.  There was quite a mess in there as we took things out and brought others in.  It was also raining outside that day so all of our sanding and painting went on inside the room.  Thankfully the back door of the house is inside the granny room so we were able to open if for some much needed ventilation.
Alrighty, here it is...*drum roll please*...the great reveal!!  Ta-Da!

Before

After



Before

After

At another angle, with little shelf in the background...


Before  
(notice the the room was two different colors)

After

Here are a couple of side by side shots of the furniture/ shelf transformation.




Below are a few pictures of the amazing recliner.  You'll notice in two of the pictures it is actually in our living room.  We moved it there because Abuelita Angela loves looking out the bay windows during the day.  
She even sits in the recliner for church (yes, in the reclining position :o)
We are so very happy to have the grannies with us.  I now have a shopping partner (Abuelita Eloisa), the kids are speaking more Spanish every day, and if I feel lonely and need someone to chat with, Abuelita Angela ALWAYS has the time.  Please let me know what you think of the room redo.  Also, if you have any before and after pictures that you wouldn't mind sharing with us, of rooms you've redecorated or furniture you've redone, please email them to  me at staysee20@gmail.com and I will post them.  We all love a good ooo and aahh session, don't we? Plum tuckered out over here. Time for bed.  Love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, having a granny room sounds like it makes daily life interesting; can't wait to visit the "granny room" for myself. lol Your description of it was too funny, I had to share with Jesse.:)
    As for the attic office, it couldn't be called Isaac's if he didn't personalize it with his 'ghetto touch'...and I mean that in the nicest way possible. :) It looks cozy and relaxing up there.
    I love the before and after pics of the room makeover. You've inspired me to attemp to makeover my bedroom. It is LONG overdue. I've been waiting to get new furniture to do anything with my br but I decided to try painting my furniture instead. It'll definitely be cheaper and this way I'll be able to spend some money on sprucing up the room with paint and hopefully even new bedding. I want to start after my trip over there. I'll be sure to take before & after pics to share.
    The kids look adorable as always, I can't wait to see them again...only ten more days!!!! Love you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Stacy, I cracked up at the description of the Granny room. Girl! You are a writer with a VOICE! I love it! Reading your posts makes me feel like I’m there. I could almost smell the room :o) Those after pictures took a ‘WOW’ out of me. The room looks great! I’m sure they appreciated your hard work and the coziness of their space. Lylah’s second picture is soo her. I want to reach into this computer and squeeze her. We were just talking about Isaac today and how much we miss his spirit. His hello to my husband, for example, “Que hay, Pirri!” :o) He deserves a comfy little office space, even it’s in the attic. Love and miss ya’ll very much, Kaynee

    ReplyDelete
  3. STACY! That's it! I am going to hire you when I move to find me craigslist furniture and redo my entire HOUSE! lol! Everything looks spectacular! You're right, the night stand and the chest of drawers have the same curvy outline! Gotta love craigslist! And that circle lamp is so retro and cute! I love it! I really don't know where you find the time to piece it all together but you definitely "Get 'er dun!" lol! I am sure the grannies love it, especially that awesome recliner! It looks comfy and ummm, kind of dangerous hahaha! Congrats on your new granny room, it is truly beautiful! :0)The kiddos are already growing so much! Lylah looks so big to me and that little pose she's striking is fierce! lol!

    I love you and miss you all very much! Thanks for the update! Hugs&Kisses to you&yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH yes! I just gotta say...that desk idea...GENIUS! lol! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... thanks for posting those up for us. Henry says she is looking bigger now... taller. :o) I'm so glad everything fit! We miss and lover her so! Isaac Daniel looks so much taller than everyone! man! Jason looks the same.

    I'm glad you enjoy the pics and the updates on my blog. been a few days, but i have new pics... will try to get to that this weekend.... there's the Lock In and we are having a World Series watching party at our apartment Sunday night... so, might not happen.
    Wish you guys were here for this Rangers fever! So exciting!!
    With Henry as a husband it was bound to happen. I am all up on the latest sports news so ask away... hahaha!!

    About your post and the granny room... ditto what Kaynee said. You have always had a great writers Voice. ;) Enjoy your posts big time!
    I didn't realized Angela was gonna live with you too... wasn't she gonna stay with her other daughter?
    I am happy about the kids getting better in their Spanish. :o)

    It's latish for me... gotta catch my zzz's. Up at 530am. :(

    I can't wait to see you guys soon!
    Love you! God Bless and Guide you.

    Mitch&Henry

    ReplyDelete